Friday, November 27, 2009

Yes, I have a problem with “No Problem.”

Friday, November 27, 2009
We’ve all heard those two words. In a variety of situations.

Ask a sales clerk if we can get the shirt in a different color. “No problem.”

Thank a waiter for filling our water glass. “No problem.”

Request the cable company customer service representative to upgrade our movie package. “No problem.”

Call me petty, but I think "No problem" is one of the most overused phrases in conversation. More than that, I believe it’s one that needs to be discontinued...particularly when we are relating to our clients/customers.

Think about it: when we break down the phrase, it's two words that we really don’t want to use with our clients/customers: “No” and “problem.” Regardless of the intention of the one using this phrase, it’s negative in its essence. Our customers don’t want to be told NO and they don’t want to think of their requests as a PROBLEM.

Why not consider a more positive approach, with a more positive answer

We ask a sales clerk if we can get the shirt in a different color. “Absolutely, let me help you find it.”

We thank a waiter for filling our water glass. “My pleasure. Please let me know if you need anything else.”

We ask the cable company customer service representative if we can upgrade our movie package. “I will be glad to help with that. Let’s see if we have any special packages.”

Customer service is always important. In this economy, it’s imperative. Good customer service is one part of a successful PR program. So skip “No problem.” Let's tell our customers YES and find a SOLUTION.

No problem.

You’re welcome!

Am I being too petty? I welcome your thoughts, insights, comments or questions. I would especially like to see hear some of your experiences.

To leave a comment, click on the Callout icon at the top of the page.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Write You UP*
. Design by Pocket