Friday, November 27, 2009

May I have a Can of PR, please?

Friday, November 27, 2009


Apparently, it’s possible to put almost anything in a can.


[Pictured: Cheeseburger in a can; Cooked Whole Chicken in a can]


Obviously I didn’t include these taste-tantalizing (??) photos to hawk a new line of canned products. I show them to make a point: in my opinion, canned is not always the way to go! Though I certainly appreciate the appeal: they’re convenient and simple to store. Ready-to-open and use at any time. Very little fuss. Quick and easy. (I’m not endorsing these products. Personally, I have not…and probably would not…tried them.)

When I first saw these products, it made me think of some of the requests I get from those wanting professional PR services.

Send a release. Too often when people think of “doing” PR, the first thing that comes to mind is: “Let’s send out a press release.” That’s the canned mentality of what PR is and how to do it. It doesn’t take long to search the Internet and find many sites that will provide fill-in-the-blanks (i.e., canned) news releases. And while it’s true that this might be a good way to learn about the basic format of a standard news release, it does miss an important point—there’s nothing standard about your company! And trying to standardize PR misses an important element—personalization.

Note: I'm firm believer of the power of a well-written, well-placed news release. We’ve spent several previous posts discussing the WHY and WHEN of sending out a release, and in the future, I will details the HOW. But as I’ve made clear: I just don’t want PR to be equated with “press reeases.”

One Size Fits All. We’ve all read those wonderful stories of a company that effectively used PR to get noticed. We know about “buzz” and have seen those cute videos (like the dowdy British singer) that no one can resist sending to everyone on their e-mail list. What company wouldn’t want everyone in the country talking about them and their services with that kind of enthusiasm? So too often, when a company contacts a PR professional, what they want is something they’ve seen happen to others. But that’s viewing PR as a canned concept. And it’s not easy to tell a client (or a potential client) that what worked for one organization, in one place, at one time, probably won’t work for them.

Send me a Plan. I regularly hear from potential clients who want me to send them a PR Plan so they can evaluate what I intend to do for them. In other words, they would like a can of PR. And while I understand the need to justify the expenses of hiring a PR Consultant, I have to try and let them know the misleading notion of that approach.

First, I accentuate the reality that their organization is unique. The needs of their organization—strengths, problems, potential and possible dangers—are not like those of the company down the street (or across the country). Their community is different. The media covering their area has unique interests. In other words, (repeating myself) their company or organization is not like any other!

I also share with these potential clients the need for targeted research. No plan can function properly or perform successfully without knowing as much as possible prior to execution. We need to know their market, their audiences, their successes, strengths, weaknesses, etc. We must study statistics, competition, history…any source necessary to gain the most information to build their plan.

On the flip side, since I do understand their desire for the information needed to make this important decision, I do let them know that there are typical stages to the planning, organizing and executing of a successful PR/Publicity campaign. I even have a prepared document that outlines these basic processes. But throughout the initial negotiation, I continue to highlight my desire to give them the personalized service and attention they deserve.

I suppose it would be nice to have a can of PR. (Or Microwave PR, Instant PR, Sanka PR, or PR in a Box) But it just doesn’t work that way. I see PR as “personal” relations. It’s taking the needs and goals of YOUR business/organization and putting together a plan…for you.


I welcome your thoughts, insights, comments or questions. I would especially like to see hear some of your experiences.

To leave a comment, click on the Callout icon at the top of the page.

1 comments:

Josh said...

Great post, Bill. One of the biggest pet peeves I hear from journalists I work with (after "PR folks don't bother to read what I write or know what I cover") is “So what?” That’s because a generic release was sent out for something that may not have warranted a release in the first place. Each client/campaign deserves a unique, tailored pitch and/or press release, that’s why they are hiring a pr professional. And a pr plan and press release should be timely, keeping in mind the current news cycle, changes in a particular industry with myriad of other things. If a client wants a fill-in-the-blank plan or release and you take them on, you are setting up both sides for disappointment.

But in the end, both the plan and even a well placed press release can fall upon deaf ears (or blind eyes) if a pr professional doesn’t have strong relationships with the media.

Post a Comment

 
Write You UP*
. Design by Pocket