Monday, June 29, 2009

Communication & Customer Complaints

Monday, June 29, 2009
We talked last time about the importance of communication as interaction and not just giving out information. I spoke about the need for our business communication to make an impact, rather than just talking/hearing. Nowhere is this more true than when dealing with our customers/clients. Allow me to share two personal examples.

I recently complained to a company, using their web site form. I admit to being miffed, but I wasn’t hateful or harsh. The reply I got back had two sentences. The first one told me my complaint was invalid (in those words); the abundance of customers who used this service was cited as proof of my mistaken protest. The second sentence corrected a misspelled word in my original complaint and informed that I had a better chance of being taken seriously if I could spell.

Trust me, this “business communication” had an impact on me. FLASH RED!!!! I was certain this business owner would be shocked at such horrible customer service, so I called the office and was able to speak with the Marketing Manager. I explained the situation and he was sympathetic. I asked to speak with the owner. He hesitated, so I pressed. I learned that the response to my complaint had come from the owner (!!!).

It’s not my intention to use the entire post to merely rant about this unfortunate experience (though I do enjoy that perk), but it does illustrate a point: what we say/write can impact and change a person…which is our current theme/topic. This should always be kept in mind when dealing with our customers/clients.

Trust me, this response certainly changed me. I was upset when I wrote the complaint, but now I was livid. In those two sentences, I learned all I needed to know about that company. On a couple of occasions, I’ve had the opportunity to tell others about this negative experience. I’m not just not-a-customer, I’m an adversary, actively working to keep other people from using their services. (Do you know how tempted I am even now to actually mention that name of this business?) Was that the intention of this owner? Did she even consider that possibility?

Now, for the flip side. I recently had some difficulty finding a product I use on a regular basis, so I went to the corporate web site and filled out the form, asking for guidance. Several days later, I was informed (“deeply regret”) the product had been discontinued. My loyalty was acknowledged and they let me know how much they appreciate the fact I had taken the time to contact them. In closing, an alternate product was suggested, along with a discount coupon for the new item. (“We value you as a customer”)

Two occasions when a company couldn’t meet my needs. Two responses and two very different outcomes. I’m still buying the alternative product. And, well...you can guess the outccome on the other example.

It’s at the point where a customer comes to us with an issue that our very best communication practices must be exhibited. We want to communicate in such way that brings change—a problem is solved, a complaint is resolved, a concern is addressed, a question is answered. If we handle it badly, we end up changing them into an ex-client. Or worse!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Write You UP*
. Design by Pocket