Sunday, July 26, 2009

PR and Ethics…in the same breath?

Sunday, July 26, 2009
Several years ago, I was working for an organization that was having some “image” issues. During a meeting with some business leaders, it was hinted (suggested!) that we post the positive results of an industry survey on our web site and encourage the media to report on the results.

The problem? There were no positive results. In fact, there was no survey!

When I pointed out the obvious (“Don’t you think it would be unethical to release fake results of a nonexistent survey?”) he quickly made it known—loud enough for all to hear—he was just kidding. But he also said, again loud enough for all to hear,
“Wouldn’t you know it. Of all the Spin Doctors in the country, we had to hire someone with scruples!”

Ethics is a difficult subject because it is so…subjective. Opinions on this issue vary, and I’m not here to settle it once and for all. For many years, the issue of codifying ethical standards in the PR industry has been discussed, argued, adopted and revised by the national professional organization for PR professionals (Public Relations Society of America / PRSA). Today, the
PRSA Member Code of Ethics covers almost eight pages and contains some wonderful ideals, with concepts and admonitions where PR practitioners are reminded that we are “accountable for our actions” and we should “respect all opinions and support the right of free expression” while we “build mutual understanding, credibility, and relationships.”

The PRSA Ethics principles are voluntary, but I do believe in these standards. In fact, I served as Ethics Officer for the Dallas PRSA Chapter board. In those times when I have a “red flag” or question about an issue, I always go back to the Code to seek insight and guidance.

So how does that work itself out in real life, day-to-day operations? First and foremost, I strive to uphold the highest ethical standards of the profession. I offer my clients the skills and expertise of 20+ years of experience. I supply all the energy and efforts needed to get the job done and I always maintain their confidentiality.

Beyond that, I have two primary, simple tenets that govern my practice—one deals with the clients I will represent and the other with how I will represent my clients.

1. There are clients that I won’t represent. Many years ago, I made a decision that personal beliefs and business ethics could not be separated. There are organizations (businesses, political entities, religious institutions, charities, groups) that are contrary to my core values, so I know I wouldn’t be able to provide them with my best work. They deserve the very best for the money they invest, and I deserve to be able to sleep with a clear conscience.


Side note: Not everyone agrees with this precept, and I feel fairly sure there will be someone strong reaction from PR colleagues to my opinions here. Recently, I took part in a small, informal, online Twitter poll. We were asked: Is it EVER OK to align yourself with person(s)/cause(s) with which you totally disagree? When the voting was done, the results were: YES (11) NO (20) MAYBE (4)

Not all the respondents were in PR, but it does show the contrast in opinions on the subject.)


2. I’m not going to lie. Dishonesty (active or passive) may advance the immediate needs of the moment, but in the long run, only damages the reputation of the PR professional and the profession. Not to mention, the deceptions almost always come to light, making the work of PR even more difficult and doing more (irreparable?) damage to the reputation of the organization. For me, it’s not worth the cost. Without truth, PR degenerates into meaningless propaganda and manipulation.

It’s not my place to be judgmental, and I recognize that my clients deserve my best efforts, but there’s the higher calling to the truth. I also acknowledge an ever-present tension in what constitutes truth or honesty—relative to the situation, the problem, the solution, the profession, the client…even the general public.


This dilemma is even seen within the Code of Ethics. On the one hand, we are called to be “faithful to those we represent,” then in the next phrase, we are also implored to honor “our obligation to serve the public interest.” We are called to the “highest standards of accuracy and truth in advancing the interests of those we represent” but we are also asked to “work constantly to strengthen the public's trust in the profession.”

But I think it means more than just not lying for our clients. Part of the Ethics Code encourage us to “provide objective counsel to those we represent.” That means I'
m bound to be honest with my clients as well. In other words, I don't lie to them either!

On several occasions, I’ve had the responsibility of telling business leaders of a potential problems or advising against impending actions. Whether it’s welcomed or acknowledged, it’s the duty of the PR professional to tell the truth. (I chose to disassociate with one organization when it became apparent that their decisions—in spite of my counsel—would be unethical and potentially damaging.)

Obviously, this is not the forum for a thorough discussion of “absolute” versus “relative” or situational truth, but I do believe that in every situation, there is honesty. And regardless of the problem, in spite of the possible results and no matter the client, that should be our goal. Truth is not a currency we can afford to compromise, lest we shortchange the industry and forfeit our integrity.

I have (strong) opinions about the ethics and actions of some politicians, preachers and business executives. However, I can’t control what they do and how they do it. But I’ve determined to conduct my practicce by the sage advice my non-PR grandmother always gave me: (1) “You are known by the company you keep” and (2)“Honesty is the best policy.”


Please share your thoughts.


What do you think of a PR professional being selective about clients?

What is the PR professional’s allegiance to truth and honesty?

Should an organization expect a PR professional to do whatever is necessary to serve the organization?

How do we balance truth/honesty with the needs of a client?

To leave a comment, click on the icon at the top of the page.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Write You UP*
. Design by Pocket